For decades, patients who experienced chronic joint pain and inflammation had limited treatment options. They could try basic, non-surgical treatment options such as medicines, physical therapy, and bracing, or they could undergo complex surgery. There wasn’t really an in-between option. That has now changed with the introduction of IRAP.
Learn more about this revolutionary treatment for joint pain.
What is IRAP Therapy?
IRAP therapy uses your body’s own blood to create a specialized injection that can help fight against inflammation of the joints. Once this injection is administered, people who experience minor to moderate joint pain may be able to see pain relief in as little as six months.
The process involved with creating the injection serum is relatively easy and pain free. Your doctor will draw a very small amount of blood into a syringe. That blood is then taken and put through a centrifuge. The centrifuge spins the blood at high speeds. Spinning the blood at high speeds separates the blood into three separate parts – red blood cells, platelet rich plasma, and plasma.
Your doctor will take the three separate parts and further work with it in the lab to create a specialized serum that contains high amounts of a protein called Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist protein which has been proven to help reduce inflammation. Once the serum is created, it is injected into the joint and the healing process begins.
Who Should Consider Undergoing IRAP Therapy?
A good candidate for IRAP therapy is someone with the following qualities:
- Experiences mild to moderate joint pain
- Joint pain is caused by overuse, injury, old injury flare ups, or osteoarthritis
- Someone who is willing to try revolutionary treatment for joint pain
- Someone who is unable to take pain medication or someone who prefers a more natural approach to joint pain treatment
- Someone looking to find pain relief without resorting to surgery
- Someone looking for treatment options that don’t involve multiple office visits or several trips to the therapist
Orthopedic Research Clinic of Alaska is one of the few clinics that offer IRAP therapy as a possible treatment option for joint pain. Call our office to schedule an appointment to learn more about this revolutionary joint pain treatment option and to see if you are a good candidate for this type of treatment.